Friday, August 5, 2016

Here We Go Again

I have been awarded a sabbatical leave for the 2016-2017 school year. This blog serves as documentation for my sabbatical project.

The sabbatical application contains this language:

I plan to produce a portfolio of finished paintings that explores the theme of automotive travel in the United States before the completion of the Interstate Highway System. 

In discussing the concept of the universal experience Ben Shahn said:


But let us say that the universal is that unique thing which affirms the unique qualities of all things. The universal experience is that private experience which illuminates the private and personal world in which each of us lives the major part of his life. Thus, in art, the symbol which has vast universality may be some figure drawn from the most remote and inward recesses of consciousness; for it is here that we are unique and sovereign and most wholly aware.

 My project will not be A history of the period it will be MY history of the period. My history begins with being part of an Air Force family and the frequent moves that entails. The family includes four older sisters, a dachshund, a1958 Buick Century and a 14 foot travel trailer. I plan for my paintings to be visualizations of sometimes vaguely recalled events.

No comments:

Post a Comment